List of 1 items.

  • The History of St. Timothy's

    St. Timothy’s charter, which established us as a school with the state of Maryland in 1832, began with the founding of Hannah More Academy. The origin of St. Timothy’s School commenced 50 years later, when the school opened in Catonsville, Maryland, as “a select school for young ladies.” The school was founded by Sarah Randolph Carter, or Miss Sally, a gifted mathematician and linguist and a graduate of the University of Virginia. She was 23 years old when she founded St. Timothy’s. She was joined a year later by her older sister, Mary Coles Carter (Miss Polly), and the two guided the school with great skill and ambition during its first 30 years. The Carter Sisters developed a European-style curriculum, extolled the virtues of hard work and imagination, and championed the importance of learning beyond classroom walls – students traveled by rail to look at art in Washington, D.C., and by steamship for an outing in Jamestown, Virginia.

    Read More
Chartered in 1832, St. Timothy's School is a private boarding and day school for girls in grades 9 through 12, located in Stevenson, Maryland. St. Timothy's offers the world-renowned International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (DP) for grades 11 and 12, and Middle Years Program (MYP) for grades 9 and 10.